I was also intrigued by the "Hero's Journey." I had never thought about how almost every story, especially epic tales, all have the same Departure, Initiation, and Return. It made me think about the different journeys I've made throughout my life, and I was glad when my group decided to have everyone share their journeys to becoming an art teacher and then use that for our art making activity. It is amazing how creating a visual to go along with a story can give it even more importance and significance. They only thing I think could have made it even more interesting is when we had everyone turn to their neighbor and briefly tell their story, if we would have had them tell their story on 50 words or less; what Pink called a Mini Saga.
As Pink says when he talks about buying a bottle of wine, it was the story of the wine makers that made him buy that particular bottle (maybe it was a wine mini saga!). I immediately thought of all of the products I have bought for the same reason, either a great story or interesting packaging. Story really is all around us. Pink once again ended the chapter with a fantastic quote that sums that thought up.
We are our stories. We compress years of experience, thought, and emotion into a few compact narratives that we convey to others and tell to ourselves.
Katie, I definitely relate to what you said about stories making information memorable. I mentioned that in my own blog as well. Children love to be read and told stories. One of my fondest memories from elementary school is of an older woman visiting our class once a month or so and telling us the best stories. She didn't read them from a book, she simply remembered them all and told them to us with big expression. We loved it.
ReplyDeleteAlso, just wanted to say thanks for all your help last year this time telling me about the art ed program! If I hadn't met you in the ceramics studio who knows if I would even be in this program today. I can't thank you enough! :)
ReplyDeleteI'll make sure I tell you in class too, but you are very welcome! It seems like its going really well :)
DeleteI'm also intrigued by Pink's wine purchase based off of the story told on the label. It's curious to think about how marketing can and will change over time with the effects of story. I never thought of story entering into the business world, but WOW! What a world it could be. :-)
ReplyDeleteI loved how you mentioned the Hero's Story and how almost all stories have a similar layout. However, like you and Pink stated, we remember stories much better than when we try to memorize hard facts or information. I have to agree with Ali's comment too, I think that I will pay much more attention to the things that I am buying and consuming, trying to pinpoint the reason that I am attracted to them... It seems that the way the majority of stuff is marketed, stories are told to entice the consumer. Story plays well with Design and I think there is a reason why we are drawn towards specific goods and objects. Good Post Katie!
ReplyDelete