Wednesday, June 29, 2011

This I Believe About Art Education...


Teaching art is not simply about teaching students how to draw and paint pretty pictures, but art is also not to be used to simply teach other subjects as a part of "integration." There must be a synthesis between the teaching of art AND the teaching of other subjects as we teach our students THROUGH art and ABOUT art. How can we create successful future citizens without creating well-rounded, ethical, respectful, disciplined and synthesizing students first? Without art, I do not believe we can.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! I love how art transcends through time and space, so its the perfect area to integrate different subjects. And really, when thinking back to my high school art classes, its sad to me when i realize that they didn't take more advantage of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art is a perfect vehicle to explore and connect with so many areas for that holistic or "whole" education we all deserve and need! Art teachers are the most fortunate teachers of all--we touch all subjects and areas!!

    ReplyDelete